Fall is right around the corner which means that colds and other viruses are on the way. Whether your little ones are in school or homeschooled, kids seem to have this superpower to spread germs! And they’re definitely bringing home more germs than cute stray animals!
Like you, I like to stick to all natural remedies for my children. Whether it’s for bumps and bruises or another case of the sniffles, there’s a safe and natural way to heal just about everything by using what nature gave us.
- Activated Charcoal – This isn’t just good for whitening teeth but it’s also an emergency toxin remover. We’ve had a few unfortunate cases of food poisoning last year and activated charcoal offered almost immediate relief. It works by trapping chemicals and toxins into it’s tiny pores and carries them out of your body. Some research has shown that activated charcoal is more effective than stomach pumping. Anytime I suspect a stomach virus or any kind of poisoning, activated charcoal is my go-to remedy. It also makes a great face mask!
- Arnica – This is one of my favorites to use for sore muscles, stiffness, bruising, joint pain and swelling. It most commonly comes in the form of a cream or homeopathic pellets that you can take under the tongue.
- Oregano Oil– Not only is this oil great for cooking but it has some amazing benefits. It’s an antiviral, antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-parasitic, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, digestive, emmenagogue and it’s anti-allergenic! You can take it orally (Although it tastes terrible) and it’s gentle enough to use on kids. Just rub a mixture of coconut oil and oregano oil on the bottoms of their feet when they’re sick.
- Colloidal Silver – This is another one of those natural remedies that has an abundance of healing properties. It’s antibacterial, good to put on wounds, pink eye, antiviral, anti-inflammatory and fights viruses from colds/flu/pneumonia and sinusitis.
- Rescue Remedy– Rescue remedy is made up of flower essences and it’s super gentle and can really bring you back into alignment and get grounded during times of trauma. I personally use it for my anxiety and it’s the only thing that I’ve found to be effective and works immediately. I wouldn’t recommend this one for kids though because it contains a little bit of alcohol.
- Calendula Salve – This stuff is awesome and blows Neosporin out of the water! Not only is it good for softening the skin, you can also use this for sore muscles, minor cuts and burns, scrapes, bug bites, rashes, chapped lips, chafed skin, bruises and just about any other skin irritation you can think of. It’s all natural, gentle and heals the skin really quick.
- Lavender – Lavender is a first aid kit in and of itself. It works wonders for all skin problems and is also very calming and it smells SO good! Some other ailments that lavender can help with are motion sickness, cold sores and hay fever.
- Cayenne – Aside from all the nutritional benefits of cayenne, this spicy powder has one amazing use that makes it a must have in a natural first aid kit. It stops bleeding on the spot!
Natures pharmacy is so much better for you than any pharmaceutical drug out there that harms you more than it heals you.
Being a mom means you don’t get sick days.
As difficult as it is to keep going when you’re not feeling well, it’s hard to watch our little ones feel so miserable when they get hurt or fall under the weather too.
At least with natural remedies, you can rest assured that you and your little ones are safe and free of chemicals.
I’d love to hear your experiences with any of these remedies! Or maybe you have a few of your own that you’d like to share in the comments?
“Take care of your body, it’s the only place you have to live in.”